Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 11, 2011

In Memory of 9/11/2001

I have been struggling to find the words I wanted to write to share what 9/11/2001 meant to me, so I could share with Sam. I have very strong memories of exiting onto route 31 off of I90, heading into work at Safety-Kleen. I was a few minutes late (as usual) and heard the chilling words that there was a plane crash as I exited my car. When I arrived on the floor where I worked, news started flooding in that the plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. We rushed down to the conference room to watch on the television and viewed the coverage showing the second plane crashing into the second tower. My heart immediately thought of the children who had parents that worked there. My co-worker had a little girl, and the unknown threat loomed large throughout the country. My immediate reaction was to encourage her to leave, to go get her little girl, and go home. I wanted to make sure that she was with her child, no matter what happened. I wanted to go home too, but to me it was more important that she get home and hold on to her precious daughter.

As I reflect, my heart still aches over the children affected. So many were among the victims, and so many have faced life without one or both parents. At the time of 9/11/2001, I was childless. However, I did have family, and I knew the importance of family, friendship and love. My heart was breaking for all those families who lost loved ones, and those lives forever changed by being a part of this tragic moment of history in America.

I have watched some of the anniversary coverage streaming on line and have heard some of the stories of the children who are now nearly grown. There were children in schools blocks away from the World Trade Center Towers, in the same grade that Sam is now. They are about to embark on their adult lives with the impact of this event imprinted in their souls.

In 10 years, Sam will be 18. How much will have transpired? Will Sam know how much he is loved and valued? What kind of man will Sam become? Will he have learned to treasure family and friendship? Will I have demonstrated the importance of putting others first, of connecting with people, and recognizing that though we are all different, we are all precious children in our Father's eyes?

9/11/2011

No comments: