Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Real Sunday

Ever feel like Sundays are "the worst" days of the week when they should be the best? I think I've felt that way my entire life. I always struggle with putting on the "right" attitude when in fact I should be just real and me and looking forward to spending time at God's house of worship. The adjustments this week of starting a new job, a new schedule and fighting a cold really hammered me and by this morning I was fighting a terrible headache and couldn't get out of bed. The guilt of missing church "again" really weighed down on my heart. I had to stop and think about how God views things. Does He want me to be in church worshipping Him? Yes, without a doubt. Does He want me to care for myself and care FOR myself, and treat my body as a temple in which he dwells 24x7? Emphatically, YES! So, was it "wrong" for me to stay home and rest? No. It was the right thing for me to do. However, I think God would also want me to look at how I can better manage myself and my time and my week so that I am more rested on Sunday so I can worship with others. There has to be a balance between "duty" and "responsibility". Sometimes people attend church out of "duty" and miss the real heart of worship...but they are "there" sitting in the pew. I don't think that is what God intended church to be. We have a responsibility to honor God, to worship God and to fellowship with other believers. But that doesn't always have to happen on Sundays between 8 and Noon, nor should it ONLY happen on Sundays between 8 and Noon. Church should be something we ARE, not something we GO TO. It should be REAL and it should be 24x7. THAT's a REAL SUNDAY.

No comments: